Monday, June 17, 2013

New column for Independent Voter Network

As regular readers of this blog and my old blog, as well as followers of my Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn accounts know, my political beliefs are rooted in my own theory of government, with the result that my positions vary from the far right (generally defense, foreign policy, and crime, which I talk about most often) to the far left (gay rights, drug legalization, abortion). Some would consider me an independent, others a maverick. I consider myself a Jeffist.

A few months ago I was contacted by  the Independent Voter Network, a group based in my adopted home of San Diego that presents news and op-eds from the viewpoints of people like myself who are either not easy to pin down ideologically or whose positions are all over the political spectrum depending on the issue. IVN asked if I would be interested in writing for them. At the time, I was immersed in completing the manuscript for Rising Sun, Falling Skies and told them I'd be happy to write for them, but that I could not do so until the manuscript was completed, which would be at the end of May.

Well, IVN has waited patiently, and so today marks my first column for them. It is a discussion of Rob Portman's change of heart on gay marriage in particular and takes a different look at politicians changing their positions in general. This piece is called In Defense of Flip-Flopping. I hope it provides food for thought. 

In the meantime, check out some of the other fine work of the Independent Voter Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment