Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Reading addiction

I've been working on a lengthy post about the ATF Gunwalker scandal, but I've gotten sidetracked by the video game crack known as Borderlands and my normal addiction to history books.  In this case, April Blood: Florence and the Plot Against the Medici, by Lauro Martines.

Having just played Assassin's Creed 2, in which the plot against the Medici is part of the, um, plot, makes the book all the more interesting.  I'm not done with it yet, but Martines seems to take the tack that the Medici, especially Lorenzo il Magnifico, were little more than gangsters in no way better than their rivals, the Pazzi.  This is counter to the prevailing opinion of history, but that's part of what makes the book interesting.  There are at least two sides to every story.  As a litigation attorney, I like to know every version and interpretation of events.  That's how you best judge your case.  That's how truth is found.

Nevertheless, I do not find Martines' case convincing thus far.  I'll say more later after I've finished the book.  But in any case I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment